Music industry urges other stars who played for Libyan dictator's family to donate their earnings.
By Gil Kaufman
Beyonce
Photo: Al Pereira/ WireImage
Just days after singer Nelly Furtado announced that she planned to donate to charity money she received for playing a concert for the family of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, a spokesperson for Beyoncé said that the "Halo" singer had already done the same.
Documents obtained by the WikiLeaks website revealed that stars including Beyoncé, Usher and Mariah Carey had played big-paycheck gigs for Gadhafi. On Monday, Rolling Stone magazine reported that the industry was urging the stars (noting that rapper 50 Cent had also played such gigs) to return the money they earned for the concerts.
"They've done it for tons of artists," an unnamed music-business source told the magazine about lavish parties by Gadhafi's son, Muatassim, which are reportedly often "jammed" with supermodels. "Those guys are all over the world."
On Wednesday, a rep for Beyoncé — who played a New Year's Eve gig for Muatassim with Usher on the Caribbean island of St. Barts in 2009 — told the Huffington Post that the singer had long ago resolved the matter.
"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts for Haiti over a year ago," her publicist said. "Once it became known that the third-party promoter was linked to the Qaddafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."
The money was donated to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund, established in the wake of last year's devastating earthquake, and a spokesperson for the fund confirmed that it received the $1 million check in the weeks after the January 2010 earthquake.
According to her official Twitter feed, Canadian pop star Nelly Furtado confirmed on Monday that she once did a show for the dictator's family and now plans to donate the money to charity. "In 2007, I received 1million$ from the Gadhafi clan to perform a 45 min. show for guests at a hotel in Italy," she wrote on Monday. "I am going to donate the $."
The star-studded shows were part of the extravagant lifestyle of the dictator's sons, whose splashy parties and out-of-control spending have angered their countrymen, many of whom wallow in poverty as the Gadhafi clan benefits from the country's oil riches.
Related ArtistsSource: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1659097/beyonce-gadhafi-donation.jhtml
Kim Smith Kim Yoon jin Kirsten Dunst Krista Allen Kristanna Loken Kristen Bell
Conrad Murray's trial slated to start March 28.
By Gil Kaufman
Dr. Conrad Murray appears in court on Tuesday in Los Angeles, California
Photo: Irfan Khan-Pool/ Getty Images
Michael Jackson's former personal physician Dr. Conrad Murray entered a plea of not guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter in the June 2009 death of the pop star at his arraignment on Tuesday morning (January 25).
According to the Los Angeles Times, when asked by judge Michael Pastor how he pleaded to the charge, Murray said, "Your honor, I am an innocent man." When Pastor interrupted and asked Murray what his plea was, the cardiologist said, "Therefore, I plead not guilty."
The brief hearing in Los Angeles Superior Court ended with Pastor setting a March 28 date for the start of a trial in the case. Murray faces a maximum of four years in prison if convicted, and the Times noted that he surprised the judge by invoking his right to a speedy trial, which meant the case would have to begin by late March. Pastor noted the rarity of a defendant asking to have a speedy trial, then set jury selection for the week of March 28 and said he was inclined to allow television coverage of the trial that the defense expects will last two months.
Lawyers for Murray have maintained his innocence all along, saying he did not do anything that "should have" caused the 50-year-old pop icon's death. The Los Angeles County Coroner's office determined that Jackson died of an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol mixed with a cocktail of other sedatives.
Murray has admitted to administering propofol to Jackson in the hours before the singer's death, but the defense appears to be gearing up to claim that it was Jackson who administered the final, fatal dose of the drug after he woke in a panic from a fitful night of sleep.
During a preliminary hearing earlier this month to determine if there was enough evidence to hold Murray over for trial, the physician's attorneys said that there was evidence Jackson injected or drank a fatal amount of the drug when the doctor was not looking.
Related Photos Related ArtistsMagdalena Wróbe Katharine Towne Katherine Heigl Katie Cassidy Katie Holmes Katy Perry
'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' star talks at CinemaCon about working with director Michael Bay.
By Kara Warner, with reporting by Josh Horowitz
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Photo: Getty Images
Now that we've entered the month of April, it seems justifiable to start hyping this summer's potential blockbusters. Not that we haven't been already, but it feels like the big summer movies are just around the corner — one of those being the highly anticipated "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
MTV News caught up with the franchise's new leading lady, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, recently at CinemaCon to discuss her experience on the film and getting caught up in director Michael Bay's workaholic web.
"I've seen the last two movies, so I kind of knew what I was getting into, but obviously not at all as well," Whiteley said of being a bit overwhelmed by the big movie experience. "It was a crazy opportunity that was handed to me, and I spent seven months making the movie with a great cast and a great director, and it's been a roller coaster of a lifetime for sure," she said. "I'm still on it, I don't know if I'm going to get off anytime soon."
Regarding Bay, Whiteley described him as a "character" with lots of energy: "I think throughout my whole career, I've never seen anybody work so hard in my whole life," she said. "He's literally done these 'Transformers' movies for six years now. As cast, we do the filming for seven months, then he goes into the edit room and edits it for six months, then he comes out of the edit room and promotes it, and by the time he's finished that, he's prepping the next one," she explained. "It's amazing to see how dedicated he is to these films."
Check out everything we've got on "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.
Related Videos Related PhotosLeonor Varela Leslie Bega Leslie Bibb Lil Kim Lily Allen Lindsay Lohan
Katherine Jackson and family are pursuing a claim against concert promoter.
By Gil Kaufman
When he was alive, Michael Jackson was forever embroiled in a series of complex and expensive-sounding lawsuits. But even in death, the late King of Pop is the subject of major legal action. None could potentially be bigger than the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the pop icon's mother, Katherine Jackson, against concert promotion giant AEG Live.
Reuters reported that a Los Angeles judge ruled on Wednesday that the civil lawsuit can go forward. It will proceed in parallel with the criminal case against Jackson's physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, who has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with Jackson's June 2009 death from an overdose of the powerful surgical anesthetic propofol. Murray is the only person charged in Jackson's death and he is currently awaiting trial in that matter.
Katherine Jackson's lawsuit — filed in September on behalf of her and Jackson's three young children — accuses AEG of being responsible for the medical decisions made by Murray, whose salary was paid by the touring company behind Jackson's attempted "This Is It" comeback shows in London. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos denied a motion on Wednesday by AEG to dismiss Katherine Jackson's suit, but warned Jackson's attorneys that they would need to show evidence of "fraud, negligent infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy" in order to win the case.
The judge has already said she doubts they can prove the latter charge, because the suit does not detail any agreement between Murray and AEG to break the law in providing medical care to Jackson.
"If the object was to get him to rehearsals, I don't see that as a wrongful or illegal act," the judge said. A lawyer for AEG told the judge that the company could not have predicted beforehand that Murray's medical decisions would result in Jackson's death. Court papers also show that AEG "did not choose to hire Murray" and had only participated in negotiations to bring him on as an independent contractor. Michael, who had previously been treated by Murray in Las Vegas, was reportedly the one who suggested the cardiologist serve as his personal, on-call physician during the "This Is It" rehearsals and shows.
Katherine Jackson's attorney recently dropped choreographer Kenny Ortega from the lawsuit based on new information they received about his actions. The next hearing in the case is scheduled for March 22, just six days before Murray is due back in court for his trial. Jackson's father, Joseph, has twice attempted to file a wrongful death suit in the matter, though his is focused on Murray and the Las Vegas pharmacy that supplied the propofol, not AEG Live.
Related Photos Related ArtistsSource: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657214/michael-jackson-wrongful-death-suit.jhtml
Laura Harring Laura Prepon Lauren Bush Lauren Conrad Lauren German LeAnn Rimes