Mike Modano Out After Surgery for Severed Tendon in Wrist

Filed under: ,

It's been business as usual for the Detroit Red Wings this season, winning 14 of their first 20 games and currently on top of the Central Division. They're in the middle of a big home-and-home series with the Columbus Blue Jackets, winning the first leg on Friday by a 2-1 margin at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. It was also a costly win for the Wings, as veteran Mike Modano suffered what general manager Ken Holland called "a real fluke injury" when he was cut by skate after falling to the ice in the defensive zone.

Modano underwent surgery to repair what's been reported as a severed tendon in his right wrist on Saturday and will be out indefinitely.

A Michigan native, the 40-year-old Modano signed with the Red Wings this summer after spending his entire career with the Dallas Stars organization. He has two goals and six assists this season, with all six helpers coming in the past 10 games. He had been skating mostly on a line with Jiri Hudler and Dan Cleary, while Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reported that Justin Abdelkader centered that line during practice on Saturday.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/27/mike-modano-out-after-surgery-for-severed-tendon-in-wrist/

Leeann Tweeden Leelee Sobieski Leighton Meester Leila Arcieri Lena Headey Leonor Varela

'Deathly Hallows' Designer Reveals Scene Secrets

'Harry Potter' production designer Stuart Craig talks to MTV News about helping Harry retrieve Sword of Gryffindor from a frozen lake.
By Kara Warner


Daniel Radcliffe in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1"
Photo: Warner Bros.

In the weeks leading up to the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1," fans were in a frenzy, trying to figure out just how much of the book would make the first film, which scenes would delight and disappoint, and what characters might not return ever again. And trying to get the tight-lipped folks in the Potter camp to discuss those key points was a bit of a struggle. However, now that the film has opened, MTV News has enlisted the expertise of longtime Potter production designer Stuart Craig for a few behind-the-scenes tidbits.

Much has been said of the production moving away from Hogwarts and out on multiple locations, which Craig described as a "movie on the run."

"We made a very different kind of film, which was shot a great deal on location. We traveled quite far, we built sets, and they spend a lot of time in a forest," he explained. "We built forest sets and integrated them into the real forests, so there were challenges there, as you might imagine."

Another one of the production's major challenges — and accomplishments — was shooting the sequence in which Harry retrieves the Sword of Gryffindor at the bottom of a frozen lake.

"There was a really demanding, complicated special-effects requirement there to do the ice," Craig said. "I think that all works remarkably quite well, actually. Harry breaking the ice, diving in and then subsequently strangled by the Horcrux around his neck and is struggling and can't get up quickly because of the ice above him. It's good stuff."

Which begs the question: How did Craig and his team pull off that scene, and what do they use to make the ice look so real?

"As always, well, as nearly always, there's more than one solution. The camera on top, looking from the outside down on it. It's big, thick sheets of Plexiglass with frosty texture on top of that," he revealed.

"When we're underneath, it's actually an area of wax which floats on top of the water. And wax makes very effective ice. They're tried and tested movie techniques; there are a lot. You could write a book one day, a guidebook, to the very movie techniques — frost on window panes with some Epsom salts and brown nails."

One of the great pleasures in chatting with Craig, whose credits outside the world of Harry Potter include "Ghandi," "The English Patient" and "Notting Hill," is the fact that he has such an informed perspective on the inner-workings of the industry; specifically, how advanced film-making technology is now.

"The great thing about movies these days is that you can fix everything," he said. "I have to give a talk at a film festival early next month, and I've just been looking at films that I've done in the past. In particular, 'Ghandi,' years ago in India. The thing then was: If sometimes there was a compromise, it was filmed and it was there, locked. Forever. You look at the movie 20 years later, and there it would be.

"These days, with visual effects able to do so much, you can do face replacement, you can put Dan Radcliffe's head on somebody else's body. There's nothing they can't do, it seems. I mean, at a cost, it's not cheap, so terrible things seem to get fixed, which is very reassuring," he added, chuckling.

What was your favorite scene in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1"? Tell us in the comments below!

Check out everything we've got on "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1."

For young Hollywood news, fashion and "Twilight" updates around the clock, visit HollywoodCrush.MTV.com.

Related Photos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653098/20101124/story.jhtml

Krista Allen Kristanna Loken Kristen Bell Kristin Cavallari Kristin Kreuk Kristy Swanson

Michael Jackson's Parents, Children Open Up On 'Oprah'

When asked what she missed most about her father, Paris responded, 'Everything.'
By Gil Kaufman


Katherine Jackson and Oprah Winfrey on Monday's "Oprah Winfrey Show"
Photo: Harpo Productions

In her first major interview since her son Michael Jackson's death last year, Katherine Jackson opened up to Oprah Winfrey on Monday (November 8) during a tearful talk in which she discussed the day her son died, the devastating impact of his 2005 child-molestation trial and the legacy Jackson left for his three young children.

"I don't think I will ever be healed," Katherine said when asked if she believes that time will make things easier. "It will get better, but some days it's like it just happened. ... It hurts. It really hurts."

During the hour-long special, Katherine said her youngest son was "misunderstood" and she had trouble talking about Michael, often tearing up when remembering him.

Michael died June 25, 2009, of a heart attack caused by an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, and Katherine said she learned of her son's death from his personal doctor, Conrad Murray, after arriving at the hospital. "He came out, and he was talking, and it took him so long." Frustrated, Katherine asked, "Did he make it?" and Murray said, " 'No, he's gone.' That's all I remember," she said, tearing up once more at the memory. She called it the worst day of her life.

Murray has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with Jackson's death, and prosecutors allege that his actions at the mansion Jackson was renting in Los Angeles were grossly negligent and directly caused Jackson's death. Murray has pleaded not guilty.

Though family patriarch Joseph Jackson has discussed his feelings about Murray, Katherine has kept relatively mum on the subject, until now. "Why didn't he take care of my child? Why did he give that [propofol] to him?" she asked. "It's very dangerous; why did he do it? ... I can't accuse him of murder. I don't know if it was accidentally done or it was intentionally done. I don't want to get into that, but I have my thoughts."

She said she'd never heard of propofol before and had no idea Michael was taking prescription drugs to help him sleep. She knew he had taken drugs to treat his burns from an accident during the filming of a 1984 Pepsi commercial and that he had become addicted to those drugs and that his siblings had attempted an intervention at one point. "I spoke to him about [drugs] once, when I had heard it, and he denied it," she said. "I was telling him I didn't want to one day hear that he had overdosed because it would break my heart, it would kill me too. He kept saying he wasn't, saying, 'My own mother don't believe me.' "

In addition to the burns, Katherine said MJ's addiction was fueled by his devastating 2005 child-molestation trial, in which he was acquitted of all charges but not before his career, and public image, were irreparably damaged.

"All his life, he had to go through stuff like this, and they were just lying on him," she said, asserting that she never once questioned his innocence in the matter. "I never thought [he could be guilty of molesting a child], because I know he wouldn't. He loved children, and he was around children all the time ... 'I'd rather slit my own wrists than to hurt a child' — he would always say that."

After the trial, she said, Jackson didn't trust anyone. And now, Katherine is raising his three children — Paris, Prince Michael and Blanket — and she admitted that she didn't approve of the way her son kept their faces shrouded during his life. After a cloistered existence, Katherine said the children are adjusting "very well" to their new life, which includes going to regular schools, playing and camping with their cousins and going out in public.

Along with some cousins, the kids came to visit near the end of the show, with Blanket proving to have inherited his dad's shy nature. Prince Michael said, in addition to loving video games, he wants to produce movies and direct, while a self-assured Paris said she'd like to be an actress after years of improv practice with her dad. Paris said Michael tried to hide his worldwide fame from them but she realized the veils and disguises were to protect them from prying eyes.

While Paris revealed that he was a strict dad (and an excellent cook, whose specialty was French toast), Blanket interjected, "He could get away with anything." When asked what she missed the most about her father, Paris responded, "Everything."

After an initial nose job, Michael began getting a series of surgeries, Katherine said, including ones that made his nose look like a "toothpick." Mostly, though, she said he treated his skin to erase the marks of a condition that made it splotchy.

"He didn't want to start looking 'like a spotted cow,' he said," Katherine recalled of Jackson's skin surgeries to treat his vitiligo. "I don't know what in the world he did to change that, but he did." Her comments appeared to contradict something Jackson himself told Winfrey several years ago when he claimed to have only had two surgeries. "He had more than two; he was just embarrassed," Katherine said.

In a surprise, Katherine was joined by husband Joseph later in the interview, with both refuting rumors that they are estranged or divorced. After years of similar denials, Joe once again asserted that he had never beat Michael. "I don't think he was afraid of me," he said. "I never beat him like the media tried to say. That never happened." Winfrey reminded him that Michael had said in a 1993 interview with her that Joseph had beaten his son, and then he asked her to specify between "beat or whipped."

Joe replied that he was proud that Michael was raised in such a way that he was a beloved, successful singer and not a drug or violence casualty like so many peers from Gary, Indiana. "You might as well admit it: That's the way black people raised their children," Katherine answered. "He used a strap."

Seemingly admitting it, Joseph again said he was proud none of his nine children ever landed in jail, suggesting that his hard hand kept them on the straight-and-narrow. "I don't [regret the beatings]," he said. "It kept them out of jail, and I raised them right and they were good kids."

What did you think of Oprah's interview with the Jackson family? Let us know in the comments.

Related Photos Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1651791/20101108/jackson_michael.jhtml

Kelly Clarkson Kelly Hu Kelly Monaco Kelly Ripa Kelly Rowland Kerry Suseck

Mila Kunis Says 'Black Swan' Trainer 'Kicked My Ass'

'Get as skinny as you possibly can as fast as you can and then learn to get en pointe,' she recalls to MTV News of preparation.
By Kara Warner, with reporting by Josh Horowitz


Mila Kunis
Photo: MTV News

While much of the buzz about "Black Swan" has been focused on the sexual undertones — and overtones — the real story is about the intensive training stars Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis underwent in order to transform for their performances.

When MTV News caught up with Kunis, we asked her to give us the "CliffsNotes" version of her laborious undertaking for the flick, which opens Friday.

"The preparation was, get as skinny as you possibly can as fast as you can and then learn to get en pointe while doing it," she said. "I got the part, let's say on a Wednesday. Thursday morning I went into the ballet studio in L.A. with Alexandra Blacker who was my ballet instructor. [She] was 20 years old at the time and had already broken her back and had fractured ribs and things. I went in there, started working with her for seven days a week, five hours a day and was put on a 1,200-calorie diet for a total of five or six months," Kunis explained. "I did get one day off, and that was my birthday; Alexandra made me a root beer float."

The feisty 27-year-old added that her regimen didn't stop for scheduling conflicts, even the Emmys.

"We're talking all day, every day," she said of her training schedule. I remember during the Emmys and I said, 'I don't think I can make it, I have to get ready for the Emmys.' [Blacker] said, 'Yeah you can. I'll see you at 6 a.m.' So I went in at 6 a.m., danced for five hours, came home, showered and went to the Emmys."

Kunis went on to say that her younger instructor was quite the slave driver. "She never gave me a break. She was 20 and she kicked my ass."

Check out everything we've got on "Black Swan."

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.

Related Videos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653289/20101130/story.jhtml

Lil Kim Lily Allen Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Price Lisa Marie Lisa Snowdon

Ke$ha's Cannibal: A Cheat Sheet

Singer has already scored a hit with new single 'We R Who We R.'
By Gil Kaufman


Ke$ha
Photo: Jon Kopaloff/ Getty Images

It's been a pretty phenomenal year for Ke$ha. The brash, glitter-loving club kid burst onto the scene in January with her debut album, Animal, hot on the heels of the smash debut single "Tik Tok."

In short order, she ended the chart run of Susan Boyle when Animal debuted at #1, made her first trip to the Grammy Awards, teamed up with pals 3OH!3 for another hit video with "Blah Blah Blah," dropped in on "American Idol" and hit the road with Rihanna. And that's just the first three months of the year!

But after scoring another hit with "Your Love Is My Drug" and flipping the bird to haters over their critiques of her wobbly debut on "Saturday Night Live," Ke$ha unleashed another single, "Take It Off."

For a minute, there was talk of a follow-up album that might have a country twang, not out of the question considering that she's a Nashville native and her mom penned songs for Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash. But as she said at the time, "I'm also really digging being called, like, half-jokingly, a white-girl rapper. I think it's really funny, and I'm going to ride that train for a little bit."

By August, she was already plotting her next move, telling MTV News, "I'm always writing and kind of thinking of the next step. I'm still executing this record properly onstage, but the next record is definitely on my mind, and potentially in the works soon." She described waking up in Tokyo at 4 in the morning with a brainstorm for a new song and then spending seven hours making a "horrible" beat on "Garage Band" and singing and rapping into her computer.

A short time later, it was announced that her nine-song follow-up, Cannibal, would hit stores November 22 as a "companion" album to a reissue of Animal. The disc was reported to contain eight new songs produced by heavy-hitters like Max Martin, Benny Blanco and Bangladesh and to be preceded by "We R Who We R."

"This year has been carnivorous and life-changing. I have my rowdy, gorgeous fans to thank for taking me on the ride of a lifetime," Ke$ha said in a statement. "My only goal with this record is to keep them dancing. The songs on Cannibal were made to inspire people to ignore any hate or judgment and be themselves unapologetically. It's the perfect companion to Animal and I hope you guys like it. And if you don't like it — bite me."

Though a rumored hookup with Drake was false, a confirmed track list proved to have plenty of profane and silly titles, including (ahem) "C U Next Tuesday," "Sleazy," "Blow," "The Harold Song," "Cannibal," "We R," "Crazy Beautiful Life" and "Grow a Pear," plus a remix of "Animal." After winning an MTV EMA for Best New Act, the singer also locked in her first headlining affair, the Get $leazy Tour, which is slated to kick off February 15 in Portland, Oregon.

Like most major new albums, Cannibal leaked online a week before it hit shelves, perhaps the finest proof yet that Ke$ha has truly hit the big time. Only this time, after most of the songs had hit the Web, Ke$ha just posted the damn thing herself on her website and told her fans to enjoy.

"This is my album premiere, and it's top secret, and it's really fun and it's wild," Ke$ha said in a message posted on her site. "Things are going to get crazy and a little awkward, it'll be okay. Listen to it."

She's going to have plenty of major competition on the charts this week with new releases from Kanye West, Nicki Minaj and My Chemical Romance, but something tells us Ke$ha isn't that worried.

Open the floodgates! It's Mega-Release Week, with Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Jay-Z, Ne-Yo, Ke$ha, My Chemical Romance and Lloyd Banks all dropping new albums. Stick with MTV News for everything you need to know about the brand-new music.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1652714/20101119/kesha_.jhtml

Lacey Chabert Laetitia Casta Lake Bell Larissa Meek Laura Harring Laura Prepon

Billy Hurley III Sets Sail for PGA Tour Card After Active Tour of Duty

Filed under:

Bill Hurley IIIWINTER GARDEN, Fla. -- Billy Hurley III, a golfer with exceptional skill and significant credentials, is 28 years old and playing this week for the very first time in the final stage of PGA Tour Qualifying School.

So what took him so long?

The call of duty.

Just 16 months ago, Lt. Hurley was aboard a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Persian Gulf, entrusted to help defend Iraqi oil platforms. Wednesday he was 1-over-par at Orange County National, where he is attempting to prove golf can be a lot like riding a bicycle.

"Except I had to get back on the tricycle first," he said. "I wasn't ready for the two wheeler."

Maybe he still isn't. After one round of the six-day, 108-hole competition that sends only the top 25 finishers from a field of 166 to next year's PGA Tour, Hurley already is eight shots back of leader Kyle Stanley and in a tie for 65th.

Or maybe he's just getting started.

"2010 is my first full year of just golf," Hurley said. "There's not a whole lot of people here who have played five competitive days from June 2007 to June 2009."

That would be true -- and the reason Hurley deserves a robust "Go Navy!"



 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://golf.fanhouse.com/2010/12/01/billy-hurley-iii-sets-sail-for-pga-tour-card-after-active-tour-o/

Lauren Conrad Lauren German LeAnn Rimes Leeann Tweeden Leelee Sobieski Leighton Meester